Design for future
- Children have the right to life and future, and for a thriving planet for the generations to come. The current climate crisis and environmental crises such as pollution and biodiversity loss, are all child rights crises.
- Children have the right to be informed about the root causes, status, effects and the systemic nature of the climate and environmental crises.
- Consider and measure the climate and environmental impacts of all business operations. Reduce the negative and increase the positive impacts.
- Make sustainable business and design decisions and consider the long-term effects.
- Educate children and adults to understand their part in the world, being aware and caring for this planet together.
This principle links to U.N. Rights of the child:
The Right to Life & The Right to Information
RESOURCES: Design for Safety & Sustainability
Here you can find selected resources to learn more about designing for safety and sustainability.
The Children’s Code Design Guidance (pdf)
Children’s Code: Additional Resources (website)
Risky by Design (website)
How Digital Design Puts Children at Risk (pdf) or Summary (pdf)
The Role of Digital Technologies in Relation to Children’s Well-being (website & video)
The Good Childhood Report (website)
Design for Play & Learning
4. Allow and support exploration
5. Encourage children to play with others
6. Create a balanced environment
Design for Safety & Sustainability
7. Keep children safe and protected
8. Do not misuse children’s data
9. Help children recognise and understand commercial activities
10. Design for future